It was designed by William Knight and J Nettleship.
The Poor Law Commissioners authorised an expenditure of £5,650 on construction of the building which was to accommodate 400.
His father worked in a solicitors' office and later for Mac Brayne's shipping company which linked the west of Scotland by boat and steamer.
In 1914 he enlisted as a private in the Highland Light Infantry and then was commissioned in the 10th Battalion of the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders in France, part of Maj-Gen Ian Hay's immortal "first hundred thousand".
[Up to 1834] [After 1834] [Staff] [Inmates] [Records] [Bibliography] [Links] The first workhouse in Kendal (then known as Kirkby in Kendal, or Kirkby Kendal) is said to have been on the Fell Side. Children teased the wool by hand then the adults wove the yarn on hand-looms.
Paupers had their weekly allowances doled out, in the overseer's office (also in that quarter of the town) on Sunday afternoons. The annual disbursements for the Poor, which were £369 odd in 1764, rose gradually till they reached £1,066 in 1780, and were £1,751 in 1795, which included £100 for a new bridge, and several small sums not immediately applicable to the Poor. This occupation continued for the next half a century.
In 1767 Kendal promoted a local Act of Parliament to enable it to manage its own poor relief and other local affairs through a body called the Kendal Fell Trust. The deaths in the house were : 1791, 33 (a fever prevailed) ; 1792, 15 ; 1793, 15 ; 1794, 10. Eight poor widows are provided with cottages and receive 1s. In its introduction they were requested to: ...visit the house at least three times in the week, varying their days, to furnish all who want with proper clothing, to see that cleanliness is universally maintained (for which purpose they should look into every room of the house, and visit every part of the premises), to attend to the complaints of the poor, to see that all the officers do their duty, and in short, to know that all the rules are strictly fulfilled. In one week in May, 1819, a total of 13 men, 6 women, and six children were relieved by the office, at a cost of of 10s.8d.
Mitchell was born and brought up in a small semi- detached house in Norbury, south London.
The setting, he said, was typically English suburban middle-class and he grew up in what he described as a sensible and happy environment.
Its operation was overseen by an elected Board of Guardians, 21 in number, representing its 13 constituent parishes as listed below (figures in brackets indicate numbers of Guardians if more than one): County of Worcester: Bewdley (2), Chaddesley Corbett, Churchill, Kidderminster Borough (5), Kidderminster Foreign (2), Lower Mitton (2), Ribbesford, Rushock, Stone, Wolverley (2). The population falling within the Union at the 1831 census had been 29,908 with parishes ranging in size from Dowles (population 62) to Kidderminster Borough (14,981).
The average annual poor-rate expenditure for the period 1833-35 had been £11,733 or 7s.10d. A new union workhouse was erected in 1836-8 at the east side of Sutton Road in Kidderminster.